Sometimes, the Home Internet Connection doesn’t work well and results in the decreased productivity of the work. Slow or a weak connection could be frustrating to anyone since downloading or uploading gets slow. There could be several technical reasons like wireless interference, error in broadband configuration, firmware issues or any other problems can be responsible for the weak Home Internet Connection.
But there are a few ways to fix the weak performance of Home internet connection. All you have to be patient and follow the instructions.
- Update router’s firmware
- After updating, the router will receive the security updates and the router may get an additional feature with a new version of firmware. Generally, the updates are available on the administer page but the process varies from model to model of the router.
- Inspect your router settings
- The broadband router, if not configured correctly, can cause a weak internet connection network. If the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) setting of the router is set too high or too low, then it could be responsible for the underperformance of the router. The settings of the router are according to the manufacturer of the device.
- Look for interference
- Sometimes Wi-Fi connection weakens up and the browsing turns out to be a difficult task. Wi-Fi is a short-range wireless network, but it can be interrupted, quickly. Bluetooth speaker, cordless phones, microwave oven, etc. can become a rival for the Wi-Fi network. But, if you have placed your Wi-Fi setup behind your television set, then the chances to get weak networks to increase.
- To determine the strength of your Wi-Fi, you can install applications for iOS and Android devices to check the real-time signal strength.
- Be cautious of malware
- It is always great to have an anti-virus for protection against malware as threats can bring several issues in the device. Malicious software like Internet Worm is responsible for creating network traffic as it spread from device to device.
- Choose the right band
- If you bought a new router, it is required to check if its bandwidth supports 5GHz band. Unlike B/G routers which supports 2.4GHz band, the more modern N and AC router could transmit 5GHz. You can also use the router with a dual-band facility, which is like two routers in a device. With it, you can use both, the older device supporting the slower 2.4GHz band and the new devices supporting 5GHz band.
- Reboot your router
- Some people reboot their router or modem to make sure, it would work correctly again. Though it takes minimum 30 seconds to work again, at times, it is worth giving a try. Plug in the device and wait for it to spread its connection network.
- If nothing helps call Internet Service Provider (ISP)
- If nothing worked effectively, then call your ISP or Internet Service Provider is responsible for the speed of the internet connection. If the ISP has changed the internet configuration or there is any technical issue, then it would create the problems in the speed of the network.
While having trouble in Home Internet Connection, refer these steps but make sure your router is not placed behind the television. It is not a tough task to cure the weak performance of the Home Internet Connection, but if there is any trouble in fixing the issues, then contact Internet Service Provider.